Water heaters don’t last forever – in fact, they should be replaced every 10 years or so. If you’re in the market for a new water heater, give Bell Plumbing a call! Our team of friendly San Mateo water heater installation professionals can help you choose the right size and model of water heater to fit your budget and hot water needs. Whether you’re interested in saving space, increasing your hot water capacity, saving on your energy bill, or simply finding the most economical replacement option, our plumbers in San Mateo have a solution for you!
The lifespan of water heaters differs based on type: given the equipment receives annual preventative maintenance, gas water heaters last between 8-12 years, electric water heaters last between 10-15 years, and tankless water heaters can last over 20 years.
Factors that reduce the life expectancy of water heaters include faulty installation, high usage and demand, and sediment-heavy water for traditional models. Avoid premature replacement and yield a greater return on your investment by scheduling water heater maintenance once a year.
Putting the effort in up front to ensure your equipment is working properly will help you prevent complications down the road.
How to Choose the Right Water Heater for Your Needs
When it comes time to replace your water heater, our experienced San Mateo water heater replacement experts can help you determine which one is right for your home and your family. We always encourage our customers to make the decisions that make the most sense for them, their property, and their wallets.
Signs Your Water Heater Needs Replacement:
- Rust-colored and/or foul-smelling water – this is a sign of corrosion inside the tank. It could just be that you need to replace the sacrificial anode rode that keeps your unit from rusting. Feel free how to ask our San Mateo water heater repair pros how to check the anode rod, but if that's not the problem your unit most likely needs to be replaced.
- Leaking – if your water heater is leaking around the base, you need a new one. When water heats up it expands and could cause pressure to your tank. If you have a leaking water line you could get by with repair, but if it's your tank you should consider replacement.
- No hot water – you may have a problem with your heating element or thermostat. Often times fixing your heating element will cost about as much as a new unit so you're best off consulting our San Mateo water heater replacement experts.
- Not enough hot water – your water heater may be too small to meet the needs of your household. You might want to consider installing a tankless water heater as they don't run out of hot water. You might still not have enough hot water with a tankless, because they can only supply hot water to one plumbing appliance at a time.
- Your water heater is over 10 years old – it is more cost-effective to replace an old water heater rather than try to repair it. The life of the water heater depends on the type. Tankless water heaters will last about 15-20 years while tank water heaters will last 10-15.
Conventional water heaters, those that heat water via gas or electricity and store it in a tank for later use, are easier on the budget upfront and simpler to repair and maintain. Tankless water heaters heat, on the other hand, heat water on demand. This means they take up less room, save money on utilities, and produce hot water whenever you need it. However, tankless water heaters cost more upfront and may not be able to keep up with the hot water needs of a large family or busy household if you're simultaneously running showers, washing clothes, and cleaning dishes. Let Bell Plumbing help you understand the difference and make the best choice for your home.
In making this decision, we consider:
- The number of occupants in your household
- The age of the water heater
- The number of bathrooms present
- What you would need in a replacement
- The type of heater that would meet those needs
- The ideal size model for your space
Need Water Heater Replacement in San Mateo?
Water heaters interact with your electrical, gas, and water systems. It is important they are handled by a professional who proceeds with caution and is aware of the relevant codes. At Bell Plumbing, our water heater installation team in San Mateo and the surrounding areas is professionally trained and experienced. We can help you with replacing your water heater if your old unit has reached the end of its lifespan, or, if it has a few more good years left, we’ll get your current heater back up and running. While we can ensure that our prices are fair, we still offer free estimates so you always know what to expect.
“Excellent customer service”- Heritage Realty J.
“A Very Good Experience”- Kari S.
“Amazing Service, 5 Stars!”- Caroline J.
“Water Heater installation & toilet flange repair”- Ron K.
“The technician was nice and very professional ”- Karl K.
“Good & Responsive Plumbing Repair”- Kevin I.